Admissions and Applications
You are warmly invited to visit SM6 before making an application for a place. Prospective SM6 students are welcome to make an appointment to meet with the team for a tour of the sixth form or attend one of our Open Evenings in November and January to meet with course leaders and explore your personal options.
Our Open Events will take place on:
Wednesday 9th November 2023 6.00-8.00pm
Thursday 25th January 2024 5.00-7.30pm
- Find out about the range of A Level and Vocational courses available at SM6
- Meet our 16-19 specialist teaching staff
- Experience our subjects
- Meet our students and our SM6 Support Team
- Find out about our 'world class' personal development and enrichment opportunities
- Learn more about our unrivalled student support offer
- Explore our incredible facilities and resources
Alternatively, prospective SM6 students are welcome to make an appointment to meet with the team for a tour of the sixth form.
General Entry Criteria and Application information
For A Level courses, prospective students must have achieved at least five GCSE Grade 4 passes or above across a range of subjects. An English GCSE pass at Grade 4 or above is required for all Level 3 courses. Our general entry criteria and study programme guidance can be found here - please read this carefully.
Any additional and specific entry requirements for individual subjects are detailed in the course information pages.
Progression from Year 12 to Year 13 is based on performance at the end of Year 12.
The SM6 Application Process
Details of the SM6 application and enrolment process are set out below. If you have any other questions or need help please contact our friendly Admissions Staff:
Tel: 01482 808878
1. Apply online - Start by applying online using the form below, and you will receive a response from our enrolment team to confirm receipt of your complete application.
2. Interview - After you have applied, you might be invited to come and tour the SM6 facilities. This is a great opportunity to get a more in depth feel for our college and meet our 6th Form staff. You will also need to bring along evidence of your attendance during Year 11.
3. Offer to Study - Following a successful interview, you will receive an offer of a place to study at St Mary’s Sixth Form via email and then you will need to complete any full application/enrolment forms to secure your place with us. All offers are conditional upon you achieving the entry criteria for the courses you wish to study, and you will also need to maintain excellent levels of attendance throughout Year 11.
4. Taster Day – You’ll be invited to join our Taster Day in summer 2024, after you’ve finished your GCSE exams. This is a fantastic opportunity to get a feel for what it’s like to be an SM6 student, and also to learn more about the subjects you’ve chosen and the wider opportunities available to you.
5. Transition Work – over the summer term, you’ll need to complete a short piece of work for the subjects you’ve chosen. This will help everyone to understand whether the courses are right for you.
6. Course Enrolment – Once you’ve collected your GCSE results in August 2024, you’ll be invited to attend a 1-2-1 enrolment appointment with a member of our friendly admissions team, where you will enrol onto your study programme. You will need to bring a copy of your GCSE results and a copy of your overall Year 11 attendance with you.
7. Induction Days - in early September, you will have your Induction Days. This is our way of welcoming all new SM6 Students to the college, whether you’re joining us from SMC or from other schools, introducing you to life in our sixth form and making sure you have everything you need to make a flying start to your courses.