Aims and Outcomes
New Specification (first examined in 2020)
- A level Polish is an additional option outside of timetabled lessons and will require extra attendance by the student.
In A-level Polish, students will study highlights of Polish artistic culture, including music and cinema, and learn about Polish politics including political engagement amongst the young. Students also explore the influence of the past on present day Poland. Throughout their studies, they will learn the language in the context of Poland and learn about the issues and influences which have shaped the country. Students will study texts and film and will have the opportunity to carry out independent research study on an area of their choice.
Paper 1 - Reading and Writing
- 2 hour 30 minutes written examination
- 85 marks
- 42.5% of A Level
- Reading and responding to a variety of texts written for different purposes, drawn from a range of authentic sources and adapted as necessary. Translation into English: a passage of minimum 100 words.
Individual research project: reading and responding in writing to an unseen question based on a target language source on one of the research topics published in the specification.
Paper 2 - Writing
- 20% of A Level
- 2 hour written examination
- 80 marks
- Either one question in Polish on a set text from a choice of 2 questions and one question in Polish on a set film from a choice of 2 questions or two questions in Polish on set texts from a choice of two questions on each text.
Paper 3: Listening, reading and writing
- Written exam: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 75 marks
- 37.5% of A-level
- Listening and responding to spoken passages from a range of contexts and sources covering different registers and adapted as necessary. Translation into Polish: a passage of minimum 100 words.
Why choose to study at St Mary’s?
We have an excellent reputation for the support and tuition we offer EAL students. OfSTED  commented on how well EAL students we catered for at our College. Our EAL students make excellent progress, they frequently exceeding national expectations. We have a very diverse school population and have experience in working with students from all over the world.
We have an excellent exam record for Polish A-Level and GCSE exam success.