HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE OCR Extended Certificate (equivalent to 1 A level)
HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE OCR CAMBRIDGE TECHNICAL Extended Certificate (equivalent to 1 A level)
Aim of the course:
To prepare students for jobs in health, social and childcare. This course looks at the key skills and knowledge you need for your career including promoting equality, rights and diversity, health and safety and communication.
What kind of student is this course suitable for?
This course is suitable for you if you:
- Have an interest in health, social or childcare and would like a career in this area.
- Are a caring and reflective person.
- If you are applying for the Medical Health and Social Care Academy
What are lessons like?
- Students receive engaging input lessons that involve discussion, group work and presentations. These lessons prepare students for examinations or enable them to complete a portfolio of coursework, supporting students to develop excellent organisational and independent research skills.
You have the option to select completing the single A level equivalent award which is the Extended Certificate.
You could also select to complete a double A level equivalent award which is the Diploma. Please click here for information.
Certificate (Year 12) Topics
In order to gain the certificate (AS) qualification you have to complete the following units:
- Unit 1 - Building positive relationships in health and social care - Coursework
- Unit 2 - Equality, diversity and rights in health and social care - Examination
- Unit 3 - Health, safety and security in health and social care – Examination
Extended certificate (Year 13) Topics
In order to gain the extended certificate (A2) qualification you will need to study for another year and complete the following units:
- Unit 4 – Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care – Examination
- Unit 9- Supporting People with Learning Disabilities (Coursework)
- Unit 24- Public Health (Coursework)
How will you be assessed?
This course consists of six units assessed over two years. The course is assessed in two ways: there are three external examinations as outlined above and three internally assessed coursework units (subject to external moderation).
Where can this course lead?
- This course enables students to progress onto university or to start an apprenticeship or career in Health and Social Care.
- Students have in the past studied for a degree in nursing, midwifery, social work,
education studies, psychology, primary teaching, early childhood studies and occupational health – to name just a few! Alternatively, students may wish to pursue a career within a health or social care setting.
Why choose to study Health & Social Care at St Mary’s?
Health and Social Care is a vibrant and expanding subject at St Mary’s College. Our ground breaking partnership with the former Hull Clinical Commissioning Group and NHS Hull & East Riding has produced the country’s first Medical, Health and Social Care 6th Form Academy here at St Mary’s. This enables us to provide the highest quality work placements and enrichment activities delivered by expert practitioners in their fields. As a Health & Social Care student, you will benefit from outstanding teaching and excellent links with Health and Social Care professionals and agencies. Our aim is to support the NHS ambition to recruit and retain the brightest and best medical, health and social care talent in this area and to grow a local NHS workforce for the future.